Sunday, November 27, 2011

Losing Consciousness

-->
I want to go to bed on fresh clean sheets with a good smell and stretch my legs and back so luxuriously before drifting into the pure deep light of sleep.

You can die while you're still alive. You can completely lose the person you've been from brain injury or disease. You can lose all your memories, or lose the ability to form new memories; your personality can dramatically change.

It scares me to think that the things that make me me can be taken away in an instant. It makes me feel sad that all my precious memories will one day be gone. If I were to die now I don't think I'd be cool enough to simply dissolve my energy into a rainbow and leave my organs as jewels or something. 

Death is probably messy and awkward. I imagine it being uncomfortable and disorienting, which is funny because up until now I had a more romanticized image of it. Ever since I've been aware of mortality I've spent a lot of time thinking about it, but recently, probably due to learning so much about dementia and traumatic brain injury, I've felt less at peace with the idea.

What can I do about it though? I’ve got to work on feeling less attached. I want to have a feeling like I'm a ball of light. Like it doesn't matter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment