Thursday, November 24, 2011

Inherently Sad

-->

Jack and I saw Autoluminescent, a movie about Rowland S. Howard some time ago, and bonded over his attractive sadness. The pinnacle quote of the film for me, spoken by Rowland with a long-ashed cigarette hanging from his lips, was about how he couldn't fathom thinking about life as something other than inherently sad.

I've never been afraid of sadness. One of my talents is to go into it as deeply as possible, without hiding from any portion of the feeling. I've wept with such force that everything was the most beautiful it had ever been.

Jack is one of the first people I've met who will talk about sadness in the same way I do: as something that adds richness to life. People who aren't afraid of sadness can have a chique quality. They also tend to have the best senses of humor.

1 comment: