Friday, July 29, 2011

The Ranch

     Wednesday night is a wasted night on campus. My flatmates, or at least the three of us that weren't expressly invited anyplace, creeped around 39 and 57 before landing up at 39, where we were welcomed warmly, and played the following game:


    A fun time was had by all, and we didn't want to stop, but we had to go to "The Ranch" for "Hump Day." My new and slightly less new Aussie pals and I piled into a tiny shuttle, sitting on one another's laps and singing songs.

   Sandra lost her phone, so those of us who were not wasted (the proportion was probably 3/22) had everyone quiet down and look for it. By the time we got to The Ranch the Nokia was still lost, and I was scolded: "Emily, you have to stop dancing for one fucking moment, we have to find my phone!" - Someone else cheered: "Never stop dancing!" I chose the latter.

    I was a sucker and paid $4 for a nasty cocktail, on Candice's request. I learned last time to wear ear plugs when around Candice and dance floors, and was not sorry about having learned my lesson. The two of us like to be the first ones on the dinky platform stages that abound, and it seems like everyone else likes to spill vodka on my left sleeve.

    I had had enough fun by 11:00 pm, and was walking out when I saw my new friend Sophie in line for the bar. She invited me to chat outside, and introduced me to her cool looking friend who made eye contact like he knew what I knew, and it was our secret.

     As I waited to order a beer I thought about how 5 bucks could buy more than a liter of organic, non-homoginized milk with which to make hot chocolate, and about how I could be studying for the GRE.

It looked like my previously mentioned umbrella-friend was going to buy a beer for me, when Candice cut in line with some sort of golden ticket. I took this as my opportunity and left to wait for the giant shuttle to take me back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment