Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Glass Glass Sine Sine



Ira Glass was narrating my life as I travelled on a glass bridge that extended across the edge of a cliff face. It went on for miles. As I neared an impasse Ira noted that this was the point where I would not be allowed to go any further if I didn't convert to the religion of the bridge guardians. Outrage swept through my gut and I needed to know what was on the other side. A security office was built into the cliff. I rang the doorbell and explained that I wouldn't join a religion, but that I wanted to see the rest of the world. The security guards were reasonable and let me pass.

A group of young adults jostled around the restaurant where our orientation would begin, taking group pictures and giggling. Multicolored flags whipped in the spring wind. Round black lacquered tables filled the dark space and we strained our eyes to read the Chinese on the menus. The wait staff spoke Spanish and I tried to tell everyone around about neural oscillations, sine waves, the patterns of dragons through the galaxy, and how all these things are similar.

I knew we could use our brainwaves to find the dragons. Benji had drawn a dragon in dayglo pink chalk in the middle of an empty parking lot and a crowd of people filled in symbols around it. They said that I should draw a sign, so I drew a sine wave. The highway was closed so we couldn't reach the dragons just then, but I knew I could solve the puzzle using my brainpower.

No comments:

Post a Comment